Projects are coming

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 09:35:12AM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:19:28 -0800
> Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>

> > One funny thing, a number of companies have contacted us already, asking
> > for Linux support for their devices, only for us to tell them that all
> > of their devices are already supported just fine, no new work is
> > needed.  They were pleasantly supprised :)
> >

> I think such comments should be made with caution. In most cases where
> the vendor hasn't been involved, there has been some level of reverse
> engineering involved. So the driver can be based on flawed
> assumptions. Also, there's the issue of erratas. In short, just
> because we have a driver doesn't mean we don't want vendors to get
> involved.

Oh, I agree, just that for the specific examples I was referring to, we
had support for the devices because of the lower-level chip they had in
their devices was already supported by Linux, and we had already added
their deviece ids, or, their device was a usb-class type device, and our
class drivers supported things just fine, no changes needed.

thanks,

greg k-h