Re: is there a preferred form of root-prompt example ?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, jim.cromie@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> so Im looking at Documentation/admin-guide/dynamic-debug-howto.rst
>
> its a typical root-shell command environment.
>
> there are a lot of different example prompts scattered about,
> which is objectively inconvenient for copy-pasting.
>
> I briefly played with aliasing away the prompts, and it seems like it
> might work,
> but it seems way too magical to put into examples just to make the
> various example prompts play nice with copy-paste.
>
> At minimum, it seems good to reduce this to one or few variations,
> dir-agnostic preferred, and ideally evaluates to nil (without an ugly
> alias), leaving 1st token as the command itself.
>
> Also '//' is not a legit comment char in root-shell-environ, # is better.
> I have this and several other doc patches, this is the right place to
> send them ?
>
> comments ?

Cc: Jason, dynamic debug maintainer per MAINTAINERS

FWIW, I'd unify on single # as root prompt or just throw away the prompt
altogether, and assume /sys/kernel/debug as the debugfs path. You can
mention somewhere the privileges the examples assume, as well as tell
people to replace /sys/kernel/debug with the actual debugfs path. I'd
also unwrap the lines instead of splitting to several lines.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center