Re: mandocs missing functions

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/07/2015 12:04 PM, Tim Bird wrote:
>> I found out on stackexchange that I can do something like this:
>>
>> make mandocs
>> make installmandocs
>>
>> and then inside vim use 'K' when the cursor is over a symbol to get
>> the documentation for a symbol.
>>
>> I tried this, but did not get the results I expected.  Specifically,
>> some functions did not have man pages generated.
>>
>> It takes a fair amount of time to generate the docs, and lots of
>> warnings are produced.
>> When I was done, I tried 'man queue_delayed_work', and got nothing.
>>
>> If I look in the header include/linux/workqueue.h, there is a
>> documentation comment
>> before the inline for queue_delayed_work().  But there is no man page
>> file for queue_delayed_work in /usr/local/man/man9 (where the other
>> kernel function man pages
>> were installed).  There is a man page for queue_delayed_work_on(), but
>> I can't get to
>> this man-page from inside vim (or from the command line), using the search
>> string of queue_delayed_work.
>>
>> Is there some way (that I'm missing) of generating all the function docs?
>
> There is no *.tmpl file in Documentation/DocBook/ that pulls in
> include/linux/workqueue.h for processing.
>
> You can add
> !Iinclude/linux/workqueue.h
> to some appropriate *.tmpl file, or I'll be glad to do it if you don't want to.

OK, thanks.

I'm testing a fix where I put it in device-driver.tmpl, next to
!Ekernel/workqueue.c

Looking at nearby examples, it seems the .h line should go above that
one.  Let me  know
if that's not right.

When re-making the mandocs, the build system seems to have no notion
that most of the
files are already built.  In other words, it's taking another 20
minutes to rebuild everything,
after just one change.  Is this the correct and/or intended?

If it works (it's compiling now), I'll submit a patch for this one item.

Is there any way to find, in general, which functions are not
incorporated into the current
docs and report them, for inclusion into an appropriate .tmpl file?
If nothing exists today,
would a script to try to do this be desirable?  I might take a stab at
this if there's nothing
doing this already.

Thanks,
 -- Tim