Re: [RFC net-next 0/5] Suspend IRQs during preferred busy poll

On Fri, Aug 16, 2024 at 10:59:51AM -0400, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> > Martin Karsten wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > Yes, napi polling is suspended while the application is busy between
> > > epoll_wait calls. That's where the benefits are coming from.
> > >
> > > The consequences depend on the nature of the application and overall
> > > preferences for the system. If there's a "dominant" application for a
> > > number of queues and cores, the resulting latency for other background
> > > applications using the same queues might not be a problem at all.
> > >
> > > One other simple mitigation is limiting the number of events that each
> > > epoll_wait call accepts. Note that this batch size also determines the
> > > worst-case latency for the application in question, so there is a
> > > natural incentive to keep it limited.
> > >
> > > A more complex application design, like you suggest, might also be an
> > > option.

> > > The question is whether to add a useful mechanism (one sysfs parameter
> > > and a few lines of code) that is optional, but with demonstrable and
> > > significant performance/efficiency improvements for an important class
> > > of applications - or wait for an uncertain future?
> >
> > The issue is that this one little change can never be removed, as it
> > becomes ABI.
> >
> > Let's get the right API from the start.
> >
> > Not sure that a global variable, or sysfs as API, is the right one.
>
> Sorry per-device, not global.
>
> My main concern is that it adds yet another user tunable integer, for
> which the right value is not obvious.

This is a feature for advanced users just like SO_INCOMING_NAPI_ID
and countless other features.

The value may not be obvious, but guidance (in the form of
documentation) can be provided.

> If the only goal is to safely reenable interrupts when the application
> stops calling epoll_wait, does this have to be user tunable?
>
> Can it be either a single good enough constant, or derived from
> another tunable, like busypoll_read.

I believe you meant busy_read here, is that right?

At any rate:

  - I don't think a single constant is appropriate, just as it
    wasn't appropriate for the existing mechanism
    (napi_defer_hard_irqs/gro_flush_timeout), and

  - Deriving the value from a pre-existing parameter to preserve the
    ABI, like busy_read, makes using this more confusing for users
    and complicates the API significantly.

I agree we should get the API right from the start; that's why we've
submit this as an RFC ;)

We are happy to take suggestions from the community, but, IMHO,
re-using an existing parameter for a different purpose only in
certain circumstances (if I understand your suggestions) is a much
worse choice than adding a new tunable that clearly states its
intended singular purpose.

- Joe