Re: [RFC net-next 0/5] Suspend IRQs during preferred busy poll

Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> Martin Karsten wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > But if I understand correctly, this means that if the application
> > > thread that is supposed
> > > to do napi busy polling gets busy doing work on the new data/events in
> > > userspace, napi polling
> > > will not be done until the suspend_timeout triggers? Do you dispatch
> > > work to a separate worker
> > > threads, in userspace, from the thread that is doing epoll_wait?
> >
> > Yes, napi polling is suspended while the application is busy between
> > epoll_wait calls. That's where the benefits are coming from.
> >
> > The consequences depend on the nature of the application and overall
> > preferences for the system. If there's a "dominant" application for a
> > number of queues and cores, the resulting latency for other background
> > applications using the same queues might not be a problem at all.
> >
> > One other simple mitigation is limiting the number of events that each
> > epoll_wait call accepts. Note that this batch size also determines the
> > worst-case latency for the application in question, so there is a
> > natural incentive to keep it limited.
> >
> > A more complex application design, like you suggest, might also be an
> > option.

> > > I agree, this would allow each napi queue to tune itself based on
> > > heuristics. But I think
> > > doing it through epoll independent interface makes more sense as Stan
> > > suggested earlier.
> >
> > The question is whether to add a useful mechanism (one sysfs parameter
> > and a few lines of code) that is optional, but with demonstrable and
> > significant performance/efficiency improvements for an important class
> > of applications - or wait for an uncertain future?
>
> The issue is that this one little change can never be removed, as it
> becomes ABI.
>
> Let's get the right API from the start.
>
> Not sure that a global variable, or sysfs as API, is the right one.

Sorry per-device, not global.

My main concern is that it adds yet another user tunable integer, for
which the right value is not obvious.

If the only goal is to safely reenable interrupts when the application
stops calling epoll_wait, does this have to be user tunable?

Can it be either a single good enough constant, or derived from
another tunable, like busypoll_read.