Matic Urbanija

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx>
To: Matic Urbanija <maticurbanija@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	"linux-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Matic Urbanija <maticurbanija@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> first of all, I'm terribly sorry if this isn't the right place to ask
> about translation. I sent an email to helpdesk but so far no answer
> from them.
As has already been said, this is the right place.

Out of curiosity, which "helpdesk" did you send email to?

> My name is Matic Urbanija, I am a teacher at Vegova - Upper Secondary
> School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Technical Gymnasium
> Ljubljana, Slovenia (https://www.vegova.si/about-us-vegova/).
>
> I would like to translate kernel documentation into Slovenian
> language. Maybe some of my students would also like to participate.
>
> Are there some special requirements or procedures which have to be
> fulfilled before starting translation project? What is the proper or
> recommend way to start to translate the kernel documentation?
Best is to look at how the other languages are handled.  I would
recommend starting with the stuff in Documentation/process/ as being of
the most general interest.

If you can recruit somebody else to help with review of translation
patches, that would be most helpful.  On my own, I'm not qualified to
know what's a good translation and what isn't.

I do have to ask one question: is it your intent to maintain this
translation once it has gone upstream?  Documentation evolves over time;
having a bunch of out-of-date translations in the tree is not
particularly useful.  I'll be a lot happier about accepting a new
translation if I have some assurance that it will not end up in that
state.

Thanks,

jon