Re: sphinx - proper method for linking

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 04:28:02PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > Are links to other documents stable?
> >
> > How about sections within the page?
>
> I don't understand those questions.

You need to first add the label before desired section heading, like:

```
.. _foo:

Foo
===

```

Then elsewhere use :ref: role and specify the target label, ideally also
specifying anchor text:

```
This assumes that you have knowledge on :ref:`foo <foo>`.
```

> > I found that this .rst works.
> >
> > See
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/security/keys/trusted-encrypted.html
> >
> > Is that OK, or is there a better way?
>
> You wouldn't link to the rendered kernel docs normally, you'd just say
> "See Documentation/security/keys/trusted-encrypted.rst".
>
> Look at the Sphinx cheatsheets on the net for the various other ways of
> making links if you need to link outside of the kernel docs.

As with internal linking, you can simply write out the link:

```
Check out the documentation at https://foo.bar/baz for complete
treatment on this topic.

```

Or if you need anchor text:

```
Check out `baz documentation <https://foo.bar/baz>`_ for complete
treatment on this topic`.
```

There is also :doc: directive if you need internal linking with anchor
text. The target can be either relative to the doc or absolute in respect
to documentation root (`Documentation/`). Do not specify filename
suffix. For example:

```
The general guide on :doc:`submitting patches
</process/submitting-patches>` also applies to this subsystem.

```

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara