Re: sphinx - proper method for linking

Ken Goldman <kgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1. What is the recommended way to link to documents outside my tree.
>
> Should I be doing that, or is it fragile / not recommended?

If you need to link to something elsewhere, you can certainly do so;
there are countless examples in the kernel documentation.

> Are links to other documents stable?
>
> How about sections within the page?

I don't understand those questions.

> I found that this .rst works.
>
> See
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/security/keys/trusted-encrypted.html
>
> Is that OK, or is there a better way?

You wouldn't link to the rendered kernel docs normally, you'd just say
"See Documentation/security/keys/trusted-encrypted.rst".

Look at the Sphinx cheatsheets on the net for the various other ways of
making links if you need to link outside of the kernel docs.

> Is that link (doc/html/latest) correct.
>
> 2. Are my pages and headings to be treated as stable, like an API? I.e.,
> once I release documentation, are all the pages and headings frozen so
> they will not break links?

No, there is no such requirement.

jon