Re: New theme - Alabaster for Kernel Documentation

Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Konstantin, would it be possible for you to add "DOCS_THEME=sphinx_rtd_theme"
> for the "latest" kernel documentation builds until the new default theme
> becomes good enough for most people?  That is if Jon agrees.
> For the "next" builds, alabaster theme should be OK, and easier for us to
> compare the two themes.

I'd prefer to avoid this if possible.  In the end, though, what
kernel.org does isn't my decision, of course...  but if the Alabaster
mode is really that bad, we should either fix it or just revert the
change.  I'll try to dig into the sidebar generation a bit, but time is
scarce.

Before going too far, what exactly is the desired sidebar experience
here?  I find the RTD approach, which keeps all of the top-level entries
there, to be severely messy and would prefer not to reproduce it.  Of
course, some of that reflects the still-messy nature of our top-level
Documentation/ directory, another thing I'd like to fix.

Thanks,

jon