Re: and that would be it for kerneldoc fixes

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Rob Landley wrote:

> It's just that when Documentation/ was first handed over I devoted a
> weekend to getting my kernel.org account reset (after last year's
> break-in disabled everything and introduced a new layer of
> bureaucracy), and at the end of it had made exactly zero progress.
> They switched from providing shell access to some handcrafted
> git-only filter that prevented me from updating kernel.org/doc, and
> I needed a pgp key with signatures from people with existing
> kernel.org accounts (people listed in MAINTAINERS wasn't good
> enough), when the last in-person event I attended was 2010.
>
> This is _my_ problem not yours, and since then I've made some
> progress on it. It's just... got me off to a slow start. To be
> honest, I've been funneling stuff through trivial@xxxxxxxxxx since
> the nice maintainer there was kind enough to host things in a way
> Linus will pull. But the big cleanups (collating the translations
> under a common directory, collating the architectures under a common
> directory) require me to have a git tree with the appropriate magic
> blessing sucked into linux-next, so...

  i'm willing to help out since writing/editing is a big part of what
i do, and i'll repeat something i suggested a few days ago -- what
Documentation/ needs *very* badly is a single file listing the docs
that are *obviously* out of date, plus whatever editorial content
someone wants to add that explains *what* is out of date and any
suggestions as to how it can be fixed.

  everyone knows that lots of Doc/ is hopelessly old and inaccurate,
but in many cases, people simply don't have the time to fix it.  what
people *do* have the time for, however, is the minute or two it takes
to simply *state* that something is too old to have any value, perhaps
adding another sentence or two as to where better documentation is, or
how the current file can be improved.  and in some cases, pointers
that some files can simply be tossed as useless.

  i'm sure a lot of people who want to help improve the docs simply
don't have the time to do it themselves.  but they're happy to at
least point out when something is desperately in need of updating.

  thoughts?  how can we get this started?

rday