Re: What does SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP mean?

> The help option in mm/Kconfig says:
>
> > help
> >   SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP uses a virtually mapped memmap to optimise
> >   pfn_to_page and page_to_pfn operations.  This is the most
> >   efficient option when sufficient kernel resources are available.
>
> This doesn't really tell me what it does, what the plusses and minuses are, or
> when I would or wouldn't need to select it.  I don't have enough information
> to make this config selection (what are "sufficient kernel resources"?  Would
> a 256 meg qemu image qualify?), and the help isn't helping.
>
> Looking at the commit, the comment is:

Hmm. This option make a difference about kernel internal structures.
SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP simplify the calculation of pfn_to_page/page_to_pfn.
So, it may make kernel works faster a bit.
(I don't remember the number of performance impact.)

I guess "sufficient kernel resources" means the space of virtual address.
VMEMMAP makes a continuous array of pages on virtual address
for all possible physical memory.
But it's requires huge space of virtual address.
So if your box is 32bit cpu, then SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP should be off.

If you don't worry about internal kernel structures, then you can use default
setting.

I hope this is your help.

> > SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP needs to be a selectable config option to support
> > building the kernel both with and without sparsemem vmemmap support.  This
> > selection is desirable for platforms which could be configured one way for
> > platform specific builds and the other for multi-platform builds.
>
> Once again, how does someone configuring a system make a decision?  Apparently
> you know, but this documentation isn't saying what the decision criteria or
> requirements/benefits are.

Certainly, this is not good help.

Thanks.

--