What does SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP mean?

The help option in mm/Kconfig says:

> help
>   SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP uses a virtually mapped memmap to optimise
>   pfn_to_page and page_to_pfn operations.  This is the most
>   efficient option when sufficient kernel resources are available.

This doesn't really tell me what it does, what the plusses and minuses are, or
when I would or wouldn't need to select it.  I don't have enough information
to make this config selection (what are "sufficient kernel resources"?  Would
a 256 meg qemu image qualify?), and the help isn't helping.

Looking at the commit, the comment is:

> SPARSEMEM_VMEMMAP needs to be a selectable config option to support
> building the kernel both with and without sparsemem vmemmap support.  This
> selection is desirable for platforms which could be configured one way for
> platform specific builds and the other for multi-platform builds.

Once again, how does someone configuring a system make a decision?  Apparently
you know, but this documentation isn't saying what the decision criteria or
requirements/benefits are.

Help?

Rob