menuconfig2html.py

Ok, so on the "converting menuconfig help to html front", I now have a script
(http://kernel.org/doc/make/menuconfig2html.py) which populated
http://kernel.org/doc/menuconfig which I'm not happy with yet.  I upgraded
make/make.sh to call menuconfig2.html.py for each architecture and write the
results into the menuconfig directory, and to generate an index.html in there
while it does so.

Each resulting html file is around 1.4 megabytes, which is kind of crazy.
(Since menuconfig varies significantly by architecture, I can't just generate
one unified html page for all of them.  I have to do one for each
architecture.)  The grouping of the menus isn't really very well marked
either: Each menu starts and ends with an <hr> tag, and has an <h1> with the
title at the top, but that doesn't make the nesting at all obvious and what
is and isn't in a given menu isn't visually obvious either unless you scroll
around a bit specifically looking for it.  (Also, I don't think the script is
currently handling "comment" tags, but they don't work well with the help
text expanded inline.)

Probably what I need to do is create an index at the top, using nested "<ul>"
tags, using just the brief descriptions and having each one link to the
individual help entries.  But that would still be a 1.4 megabyte file per
architecture.

A second step would be to break up the resulting html into separate files
based on either the source Kconfig files or the menus, and link to them from
the index described in the previous paragraph.  But then I'd need an easy way
to search for CONFIG symbols, probably another index alphabetical by symbol.
Or should I add the CONFIG symbols to the menu index?

Have to think about it, when I'm awake.  (Zzzzzzz...  Not quite back on a day
schedule.  If this message is incoherent, it's because I am just now.)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-