headers_install.txt

Old news, but I never mentioned it here that I remember:  Andrew Morton picked
up my documentation for make headers_install (using the path
Documentation/make/headers_install.txt), and hopefully it'll get to Linus's
tree from there.

Once it does, I'm pondering moving Documentation/kbuild under
Documentation/make, because the first directory is really about
implementation of the makefiles (and kconfig), and the second is about using
them.

This is a larger issue in documentation: there's "here's how to use this" and
there's "here's how to modify the implementation", and they're _not_ the same
documentation.  I think you should really understand how to use it before you
try to modify it, so I'm trying to document what things _do_ and the
interfaces they present to the outside world before going into how they're
implemented (which changes a lot more often anyway).

Related to documenting this was this fix for x86_64 install, which David
Woodhouse pushed a simplified version of upstream already (just the added
semicolon was needed, the extra exports apparently weren't).  That made it
into 2.6.22, so it's old news:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/26/146

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.