Crypto Larval

I'm trying to track down an odd problem with verification of the builtin
certs.

I believe that I need to understand how the crypto larval code works in
crypto/api.c. Is there any reference material to said function, that
will help me understand how it's intended to work, and what one can expect?

The top-level routine of interest is crypto_alg_lookup(), and what
happens under that.

Pointers/explanations greatly appreciated.

grh