Re: PBKDF2 support in the linux kernel

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 05:08:41PM -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote:
> Actually for the use case we have, speed is something pretty low on the
> priority list; not having to deal with userspace crypto library dependencies
> was a goal in and of itself.  Each one has its own issues and you can never
> support just one.  Using AF_ALG has been rather... liberating.

Which is probably why Eric used the word, "laziness".  You might use a
different word, but the decisoin was one that was more driven by
convenience than kernel security....

Also, if speed isn't a worry, why not just a single software-only
implementation of SHA1, and be done with it?  It's what I did in
e2fsprogs for e4crypt.

					- Ted