Re: Using separate initcall level for crypto subsystem

Hi Herbert,

>> we wanted to add some crypto selftests to the Bluetooth subsystem that checks our usage of the crypto handling we use for Bluetooth Low Energy Legacy Pairing and Secure Connections.
>>
>> Since the Crypto subsystem and Bluetooth subsystem both use subsys_initcall that goes horrible wrong when running it built-in. So I wonder if it would make sense to introduce a crypto_initcall that comes before the subsys_initcall.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>
> If it's just for self-tests would it be possible for them to be
> done after system boot-up?

we can easily run them later on. However when the Bluetooth subsystem is built as module, then I would prefer to have the module loading fail in case one of the selftest fails. I can hack around this with a lot of ifdef config magic. If we would have all crypto, cipher etc. modules as crypto_initcall, then I would have to add nothing extra on my side. It would reduce the ifdef config magic on our side a lot.

My personal take is that the crypto subsystem has become such a basic feature that it might make sense to ensure that all pieces (including ciphers) are loaded before we initialize any other subsystem.

Regards

Marcel