Re: [RFC v1.1 1/5] crypto: GnuPG based MPI lib

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Dmitry Kasatkin
<dmitry.kasatkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Was there a particular reason to select the GnuPG mpi lib? Why not
>> include gmp (the gnupg mpi lib is a very old fork of gmp), or some other
>> big number library?
> GNUPG MPI kernel port was available and has shown the best performance
> comparing to other kernel implementations
> such as LibTomMath and once other rsa implementation..
> In fact I took libtommath from your cryptodev-linux#newapi project.
> I have patches and RSA implementation in my git trees.
> IIRC performance was about twice worse than in Gnupg MPI lib...

Quite impressive [0]. In GnuTLS we had the same (2x) performance
optimization by switching to gmp from the gnupg mpi. I remember
some projects ported gmp to linux kernel, but I don't know how wise
that would be. Gmp (and the original gnupg mpi - don't know about the port)
have no easy way to indicate memory allocation failure. That
was my reason to select libtommath instead of them.

regards,
Nikos

[0]. There is a limitation in libtommath as I ported it in the linux
kernel. It uses 32-bit numbers even in x86-64. Libtommath required an
128-bit type to support 64-bit numbers that was available to
user-space via gcc but not in linux-kernel. Performance of mpi was not
my goal then, so I didn't investigate it more.