Re: HW Accelerated IPSEC?

Herbert Xu wrote:
> Since your IPsec is actually breaking, then mv_cesa is probably getting used.

Yes, that makes sense.

> Did you compile in the self-test suite (unset
> CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER_DISABLE_TESTS)?

I have it unset, and /proc/crypto is reporting all tests as passed for mv_cesa. (My driver, which also doesn't work with IPSec, also passes all the tests.)

It sounds like a bug in mv_cesa.

(Assuming I am not breaking it some how in my usage.) And a corresponding bug in my driver. I looked at mv_cesa and other drivers, I might have copied an mv_cesa bug.

I made module versions of aes_generic, sha1_generic, and sha256_generic, and boosted the priorities a bit. When I run IPSec through them, I see the use counts for my munged versions go up, and it works. So I guess I have shown that a module can do crypto for IPSec. Just not mv_cesa nor my module.

Looking at packet dumps in both the good and bad IPSec cases, it seems the key negotiation is working, but when a payload packet is expected (the first packet that I think will use the crypto module), I never see it in the mv_cesa case.

I was hoping that passing the self-test meant my code worked. I also used an encrypted lookback filesystem with both mv_cesa and my module, and, after I fixed my "last bug", both can handle that.

Maybe both modules are processing the data-in/data-out aspect correctly, but are misbehaving in some other way; a missing lock on a critical section, for example. For some reason IPSec gets unhappy where self-test and loopback are quite content. Or, maybe IPSec has a bug that is somehow exposed when a different HW unit gets into the act. (Which is why I was looking for any confirmed case of IPSec going through the kernel's crypto infrastructure for HW acceleration.)

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who is looking for a way to simplify the problem.