Re: Debugging Talitos

Hello,

I have tracked down a problem with the talitos driver and the way
it interacts with the device tree on the 8349.

In the platform specific drivers (/arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/
mpc834x_itx.c in our case), we setup the bus as .compatible with
"fsl,pq2pro-localbus".  This causes the of_platform_bus_probe
to find the localbus entry in the device tree
(/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8349emitx.dts) and bind the localbus
entry to of_platform_bus_type.

At this point in time of_platform_bus_type has two entities,
localbus and pata.

Along comes talitos at a later point in time who calls
of_register_platform_driver with a match_table of fsl,sec2.0
which exits in the soc hierarchy of the device tree.

of_register_platform_driver calls of_register_driver passing
in the of_platform_bus_type of the localbus found above,
and eventually calls into of_match_device which fails to
find fsl,sec2.0 as only localbus and pata exist,
and as a result of_match_device fails and talitos is never probed.

I found that by moving the compatible = "fsl,pq2pro-localbus"
line in my dts from my localbus to my soc node the system
booted and correctly searched the soc for talitos and it worked.
I don't think this is the recommended solution though.

I am new to kernel debugging, so any input would be appreciated.
What is the proper way to fix this?

Thanks,

Barry

P.S.  Would the linuxppc-embedded mailing list be more appropriate for this?