alignmask in the API

The API allows to set an align mask. This mask is considered on the
allocation of cipher's private ctx and the IV (for block cipher). This
mask is ignored in the setkey function (what is fine with me).
encrypt() and decrypt() functions get their data through a scatterlist.
Is my understanding correct that I can't assume any alignment of the
input / output data? If so, is it fungible to modify the caller's code
to respect the aligmask?

Sebastian
-