Re: [RFC 1/3] userns: add uuid field

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 03:49:06PM -0600, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 04:21:29PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > Does prandom have *no*, or just little effect on the entopy pool?
> > > Tried briefly looking at prandom_u32, not quite getting how it's
> > > using net_rand_state - it reads it and uses it but doesn't make
> > > any changes to it?
> >
> > It has a first use effect to get the seed but once that happens it has
> > no further effect on the entropy pool.
>
> Gotcha - thanks.

> > > Yes but you're making this a general user_namespace struct member.
> > > So once that's there people will want to export it, use it for
> > > things other than ima.
> >
> > Yes, that's why I did it.  However, the property of uniqueness for all
> > uuid type things depends on randomness, so ipso facto, they can never
> > be settable.

> > > But you've called it "the namespace uuid".  I'm not even really
> > > thinking of checkpoint/restart, just stopping and restarting a
> > > container.  I'm convinced people will want to start using it because,
> > > well, it is a nice feature.
> >
> > Right, but the uniqueness property depends on you not being able to set
> > it.  If you just want a namespace label, you can have that, but
> > anything a user can set is either a pain to guarantee uniqueness (have
> > to check all the other objects) or is simply a non-unique label.
> >
> > If you want to label a container, which could have many namespaces and
> > be stopped and restarted many times, it does sound like you want a non-
> > unique settable label.  However, IMA definitely needs a guaranteed per
> > namespace unique label.
> >
> > Is the objection simply you think a UUID sound like it should be
>
> Objection is too strong.  Concern.
>
> But yes, to me a uuid (a) feels like it should be generally useful
> including being settable and (b) not super duper 100% absolutely
> guaranteed to always be unique per boot, as an incremented counter
> would be.

I don't have strong feelings about uuid or counter. In something like an
IMA log a uuid might be better but idk. I don't know enough about IMA to
judge that.
I see the problem you're getting at though. Making this a member of
struct user_namespace will give the impression that is a generic
identifier. I'd rather make it clear that this is an IMA-only thing.
Ideally by not having it be a member of struct user_namespace at all or
at least by naming it ima_uuid or similar.

Christian

[Index of Archives]     [Cgroups]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]