Re: PROBLEM: Processes writing large files in memory-limited LXC container are killed by OOM

The behavior it fixes sounds similar to what I'm seeing. However, if I read
the logs correctly, wasn't this committed into Linux 3.5? If so, wouldn't
Linux 3.8.0-25-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP (where I can reproduce the problem)
already have this fix?

Thanks,
Aaron

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Zhu Yanhai <zhu.yanhai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Please check this patch, it could fix your problem,
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=e62e384e9da8d9a0c599795464a7e76fd490931c
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Zhu Yanhai
>

> 2013/6/26 Aaron Staley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Hi Serge,
>>
>> Thanks a lot. Would you know of any workarounds outside of forcing every
>> write to sync to disk (which kills performance)? Perhaps some settings in
>> the container I can set?  Unfortunately, modifying dirty_background_ratio
>>  and dirty_expire_centiseconds globally (/etc/sysctl.conf) as suggested by
>> the serverfault answer will not stop the OOM kills.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aaron
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxx
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > Quoting Aaron Staley (aaron@xxxxxxxxxxx):
>> > >

>> http://serverfault.com/questions/516074/why-are-applications-in-a-memory-limited-lxc-container-writing-large-files-to-di
>> >
>> > Yeah, sorry I haven't had time to look more into it, but I'm pretty
>> > that's the case.  When you sent the previous email I looked quickly at
>> > the dd source.  I had always assumed that dd looked at available memory
>> > and malloced as much as it thought it could - but looking at the source,
>> > it does not in fact do that.  So yes, I think the kernel is simply
>> > leaving it all in page cache and accounting that to the process which
>> > then gets OOMed.
>> >
>> > Instead, the kernel should be throttling the task while it waits for
>> > the page cache to be written to disk (since blkio might also be
>> > slowed down).
>> >
>> > -serge
>> >

>> --
>> Aaron Staley