Re: problem with rexec

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 12:04, jassduec@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I can also do rlogin/rsh between the two machines using
> the private IP addresses (i.e. 1000mbps interfaces). However when i
> try to rexec between the private IP addresses, i get an error that
> "Where are you?" and connection lost. Why is it that i can do rexec
> between the two machines using the 100mbps interfaces with static
> public IP addresses but cannot do so using the private IP addresses.

An explanation for this is that rlogin/rsh use port 513 while rexec works on
port 512. It is therefore possible, that rsh/rlogin and rexec work with
different configurations.

I suppose that your inet-deamon listens on all interfaces for rlogin/rsh, but
only on your public 100Mbit interface for rexec.
You can check this via

netstat -tulpen | grep ":512"

This will give you the address range from which your rexecd will accept
connections from. If this doesn't match 0.0.0.0:* then you'll have to check
your rexecds configuration.

Best regards,
Lothar

[Index of Archives]     [Audio]     [Linux Console]     [Hams]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Fedora Users]