Re: How exactly does `make menuconfig' work?

  $ make allnoconfig
... it generates a minimal config with all options set to `no' which I can
then peruse with `make menuconfig', switching things `on' rather than
`off'.

This sounds fine, but...

... when I did this, there was simply no vesafb graphics option, which
I need.  In fact, the only way I can gain access to this option is to
base my new config on my existing one in /boot (which already includes
it) by expliciting loading it as an `alternative'.

Why is this?

I don't know, but I think it should be caused by some option turned off. For example if you turn off ISA support, all options which are dependent on ISA disappear.

I had been lead to believe that running:

  $ make menuconfig

... in a freshly unpacked kernel source automatically bases the new
config on your existing config.  I thought this was the case until I
came to the missing vesafb option.  I then tried running `make
mrpoper' and copying my config from /boot to the unpacked source
directory (as was suggested in another document) before running `make
menuconfig' again but still no vesafb option!

Try copying your old .config and do "make oldconfig" and then "make menuconfig". Make oldconfig updates your .config to suite kernel version you are going to compile.

Hope this helps.

Zdenek

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-config" in

[Index of Archives]     [Audio]     [Linux Console]     [Hams]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Fedora Users]