Re: A patch to implement the already documented "sep" option for the CIFS file system.

On 10/11, Steve French wrote:
makes sense.

Did anyone else review this yet?  (the mount.cifs version of the patch)

At a glance, the patch seems ok and solves a real problem.

However, I think a better approach would be to parse the string in user
space, i.e. it's much easier for mount.cifs to fetch what's the
UNC/password string if they're passed quoted (shell handles it), and
then use 0x1E (ASCII Record Separator) instead of a comma.  Then, in
the kernel, we'd only need to strsep() by 0x1E.  Since 0x1E is a
non-printable ASCII character, I have a hard assumption it's not allowed
as UNC/password in most systems.  Also since it would be only used
internally between mount.cifs and cifs.ko, users would not need to know
nor care about it.

Thoughts?

Enzo

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 2:41 PM Dmitry Telegin