A patch to implement the already documented "sep" option for the CIFS file system.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM

Some users are accustomed to using shared folders in Windows with a
comma in the name, for example: "//server3/Block 3,4".
When they try to migrate to Linux, they cannot mount such paths.

An example of the line generated by "mount.cifs" for the kernel when
mounting "//server3/Block 3,4":
"ip=10.0.2.212,unc=\\server3\Block 3,4,iocharset=utf8,user=user1,domain=AD"
Accordingly, due to the extra comma, we have an error:
"Sep 7 21:57:18 S1 kernel: [ 795.604821] CIFS: Unknown mount option "4""

DOCUMENTATION

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/cifs/usage.html
The "sep" parameter is described here to specify a new delimiter
instead of a comma.
I quote:
   "sep
   if first mount option (after the -o), overrides the comma as the
separator between the mount parms. e.g.:
   -o user=myname,password=mypassword,domain=mydom
   could be passed instead with period as the separator by:
   -o sep=.user=myname.password=mypassword.domain=mydom
   this might be useful when comma is contained within username or
password or domain."

RESEARCH WORK

I looked at the "mount.cifs" code. There is no provision for the use
of a comma by the user, since the comma is used to form the parameter
string to the kernel (man 2 mount). This line can be seen by adding
the "--verbose" flag to the mount.
"mount.cifs --help" lists "sep" as a possible option, but does not
implement it in the code and does not describe it in "man 8
mount.cifs".

I looked at the "pam-mount" code - the mount options are assembled
with a wildcard comma. The result is a text line: "mount -t cifs ...".

The handling of options in the "mount" utility is based on the
"libmount" library, which is hardcoded to use only a comma as a
delimiter.

I tried to mount "//server3/Block 3,4" with my own program (man 2
mount) by specifying "sep=!" - successfully.

SOLUTION

It would be nice if we add in "mount.cifs", in "mount" utility and in
"pam-mount" the ability to set a custom mount option separator. In
other words, we need to implement the already documented "sep" option.

1. For "mount.cifs" I did it in:
https://github.com/dmitry-telegin/cifs-utils in branch
"custom_option_separator". Commit:
https://github.com/dmitry-telegin/cifs-utils/commit/04325b842a82edf655a14174e763bc0b2a6870e1

2. For "mount" utility I did it in:
https://github.com/dmitry-telegin/util-linux in branch
"custom_option_separator". Commit:
https://github.com/dmitry-telegin/util-linux/commit/5e0ecd2498edae0bf0bcab4ba6a68a9803b34ccf

3. For "pam-mount" I did it in:
https://sourceforge.net/u/dmitry-t/pam-mount/ci/master/tree/ in branch
"custom_option_separator". Commit:
https://sourceforge.net/u/dmitry-t/pam-mount/ci/9860f9234977f1110230482b5d87bdcb8bc6ce03/

I checked the work on the Linux 5.10 kernel.

--
Dmitry Telegin