Re: [GIT PULL] ksmbd server fixes

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 8:49 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 6:39 PM Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - four patches relating to dentry race
<...>

> This all makes me _very_ uncomfortable.
>
> I really get the feeling that we'd be much better off exporting
> something that is just a bigger part of that rename logic, not that
> really low-level __lookup_hash() thing.

<...>
> I'd be even happier if we could actually hjave some common helper
> starting at that
>
>         trap = lock_rename(...);
>
> because that whole locking and 'trap' logic is kind of a big deal, and
> the locking is the only thing that makes __lookup_hash() work.
>
> Adding Al to the cc in case he has any ideas. Maybe he's ok with this
> whole thing, and with his blessing I'll take this pull as-is, but as
> it is I'm not comfortable with it.

Depending on what Al's opinion is, we can remove those four and resubmit.

Also FYI - I have some cleanup patches for ksmbd/cifs common code
(that will be in the next cifs.ko P/R) that I am holding off
on for a few days to reduce change of merge conflict.

--
Thanks,

Steve