Re: CIFS version 1/2 negotiate ?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:49 PM Tjernlund <tjernlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We got an old netapp server which exposes CIFS vers=1 and when trying to mount shares
> from this netapp we get:
> CIFS: VFS: \\netapp2 Dialect not supported by server. Consider  specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
> CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95
>
> If I specify vers=1 manually on the mount cmd it works.
> However, GUI file managers cannot handle this and less Linux savy users don't know how to
> use the mount cmd manually.
>
> I wonder if kernel could grow a SMB1 version negotiate so a standard CIFS mount can work?
> We are at kernel 5.13 and I can test/use a kernel patch.

I don't think we can do that in the client.  We are all trying to move
away from SMB1, and a lot of servers already today
have it either disabled by default or even removed from the compile.
So enabling automatic multi-protocol support for SMB1 is the wrong
direction for us.

For that reason I think there will also be pushback from GUI
filemanagers to add a "smb1 tickbox", but you can try.

Other solutions could be to locally hack and replace mount.cifs with a
patch to "detect if servername matches the old netapp and
automatically add a vers=1 to the mount argument string passed to the
kernel".
It would require you to build a patched version of cifs-utils and
distribute to all the client machines though, so ...