CIFS version 1/2 negotiate ?

We got an old netapp server which exposes CIFS vers=1 and when trying to mount shares
from this netapp we get:
CIFS: VFS: \\netapp2 Dialect not supported by server. Consider  specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95

If I specify vers=1 manually on the mount cmd it works.
However, GUI file managers cannot handle this and less Linux savy users don't know how to
use the mount cmd manually.

I wonder if kernel could grow a SMB1 version negotiate so a standard CIFS mount can work?
We are at kernel 5.13 and I can test/use a kernel patch.

 Jocke