Re: Removing readpages aop

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 02:28:41PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> I don't have any objections as long as:
> - we see at least mild performance benefit (or at least we are
> confident that no performance loss)

Nobody's complained of a performance loss in the other ~30 filesystems
which have already been converted (some almost a year ago).  And CIFS
has one of the more convoluted readpages implementation, so I'd expect
a higher likelihood of a performance gain from CIFS.

> - it passes regression tests (the usual xfstest bucket)
> - it doesn't complicate the code too much (sounds like it actually
> might simplify it, but needs a little more work)
> - make sure that the usual tuning parms still work (e.g. "rsize" and
> "rasize" mount options) or we can figure out a sane way to autotune
> readhead so those wouldn't be needed for any workload

One of the enhancements added as part of the recent netfs merge
was readahead_expand().  Take a look at it and see if it works for you.

> But currently since we get the most benefit from multichannel (as that
> allows even better parallelization of i/o) ... I have been focused on
> various multichannel issues (low credit situations, reconnect, fall
> back to different channels when weird errors, adjusting channels
> dynamically when server adds or removes adapters on the fly) for the
> short term

Understood.  Only so many hours in the day.

I think
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/1794123.1605713481@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
is the most recent version, but as Dave notes, it needs attention from
somebody who knows the CIFS code better.