Re: [V9fs-developer] Removing readpages aop

Matthew Wilcox wrote on Wed, May 12, 2021 at 04:12:22PM +0100:
> In Linus' current tree, there are just three filesystems left using the
> readpages address_space_operation:
>
> $ git grep '\.readpages'
> fs/9p/vfs_addr.c:       .readpages = v9fs_vfs_readpages,
> fs/cifs/file.c: .readpages = cifs_readpages,
> fs/nfs/file.c:  .readpages = nfs_readpages,
>
> I'd love to finish getting rid of ->readpages as it would simplify
> the VFS.  AFS and Ceph were both converted since 5.12 to use
> netfs_readahead().  Is there any chance we might get the remaining three
> filesystems converted in the next merge window?

David sent me a mostly-working implementation for netfs and it does get
rid of readpages, so it's just a matter of finding time for thorough
tests and cleanups...
I'd also like to let it sit in -next for a while (let's say at least one
month), so realistically I need to look at it within the next few weeks
and I honestly probably won't have time with my current schedule... But
it'll definitely be done for 5.15 (next's next merge window), and
probably in -next in ~2ish months if that's good enough for you.

If you can convince me both cifs and nfs will get it done before then I
might reconsider priorities :-D

--
Dominique