Re: cifs.ko and gssproxy

I see a brief mention of gssproxy by Jeff Layton more than three years
ago, but don't remember any follow up on that.   What would be your
goal in doing this?

Presumably we could improve cifs.ko's ability to automatically
autonegotiate new SMB sessions for incoming VFS requests from uids
that have associated kerberos tickets.  Fortunately here is little
dependency on SPNEGO in cifs.ko (so it could be fairly easy to add
other upcalls for SPNEGO), just during SMB3 session setup (and also in
parsing the SMB3 negotiate response).   My bigger worry with handling
SPNEGO (RFC2478) in the longer term, is adding support for the various
other mechanisms (other than Kerberos and NTLMSSP) that servers can
negotiate (PKU2U for example, and also the 'peer to peer kerberos'
that Macs can apparently negotiate with SMB3 and SPNEGO).
Authentication is mostly opaque to the SMB3 protocol, so if additional
mechanisms can be negotiated  (transparently, with little impact on
other parts of the kernel code) with SPNEGO in the future that would
be of value

--
Thanks,

Steve