Forced to authenticate with "pre-Windows 2000" logon names

I spent the last two days trying to mount a windows share, and it turns out it was not a problem with:

 * share permissions
 * filesystem permissions
 * incorrect password
 * firewalls
 * antivirus software
 * smb version

But was in fact an issue with the username. The username I had was 23 characters, which is longer than the "pre-Windows 2000" logon name which is what cifs was using, even with smb vers=3.0. The error was always status code 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE which this time was actually an authentication problem since the client was using the wrong username.

Is there any plan to support windows usernames in samba/cifs that are *post* windows 2000 era?

# mount.cifs -V
mount.cifs version: 6.9