Fwd: mount.cifs fails but smbclient succeeds

Hi,

I need to mount a file server that I only have credentials for and
know nothing about.

I have a completely vanilla setup without /etc/smb.conf, nor any Samba
service running; only the samba client binaries are installed. The
credentials are domain, username, password; Kerberos is not being used
as confirmed by the smbclient debug output.

When I connect using

    smbclient -A credentials.txt //corp.local/mnt

it works fine. The name corp.local resolves using DNS and I can browse
the datastore.

When I mount using

 mount -vvvvv -t cifs //corp.local/mnt --verbose
-overs=3,credentials=credentials.txt,sec=ntlmssp /mnt

I see that I get a STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME back. If I change the
credentials, I get a logon error, and if I change the mount name, I
get a missing file error. So it seems that the path and the
credentials are correct. If I change the version to 1, it fails in
some other way. If I change the sec to ntlm, it complains about
authentication.

Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy :-/

Many thanks!

Wout.