Re: mount -t cifs fails while smbclient succeed

STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED is 'normal' indicating that there is a DFS
referral to a different target server share - so the server you are
mounting is redirecting you to another one.

Also note that the error that is logged "CIFS VFS: DFS capability
contradicts DFS flag" indicates that the server reported a different
value for share flags and capabilities (which is probably a server
bug).

Since this is Ubuntu 18.04 it is very easy to try with recent kernels
too and the 5.0 kernel had a huge improvement in DFS caching and
failover and is worth trying as an experiment.

Why don't you check and see if
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.0/ works around
(what may be) a server bug with the illegal flags?  That kernel
includes the good work by Paulo to improve DFS caching and failover.

--
Thanks,

Steve