Can't mount DFS namespace with mount.cifs

Hello,

Hello, not sure if this is the right place, please let me know if
there's a better forum in which to present this issue.

I'm running Debian Stretch 9.6, fully updated as of yesterday, and I'm
trying to mount a DFS namespace running on a pair of Windows 2019
servers. I've confirmed these namespaces are working properly in
Windows, I can connect from other domain machines as well as my
non-domain Windows laptop to the namespace with no problems, so the
namespace is functioning as expected, but mounting from Debian fails.

I can connect directly to the shares on the individual servers via
mount.cifs, so I know samba/cifs is working, but of course, the reason
behind the namespace setup is to ensure resiliency in the event of a
failure on one of the members.

I believe what is happening is that when I try to mount
//domain.local/dfs/staging, cifs is trying to connect directly to one
of the domain controllers which is returned from domain.local, it's
not being properly redirected to one of the two servers actually
hosting the namespace.

# mount.cifs //domain.local/dfs/staging --verbose -o
username=username,vers=2.0
Password for username@//domain.local/dfs:  ************
mount.cifs kernel mount options:
ip=10.180.1.10,unc=\\domain.local\dfs,vers=2.0,user=username,pass=***********
mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The IP address returned above changes to that of various domain
controllers in my domain with each attempt to connect, which is what
I'm basing my theory upon, and they never resolve to one of the two
namespace server IPs.

I've installed cifs-utils, smbfs, and keyutils. I've performed the
modifications to request-key.conf (adding -t to the cifs.spnego line)
as suggested in numerous how-to and troubleshooting articles (however
they're all from 2012 or earlier so I'm unsure of their relevance).
I've confirmed "search domain.local" is in my resolv.conf, I've
confirmed I'm using domain DNS servers.

I've also tried adding two lines to my hosts file to force resolution
of domain.local to the namespace servers, but this results in
authentication errors because Samba can no longer communicate with the
actual authentication servers on domain.local.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, so I figured I'd try
here. Any suggested next steps or viable solutions would be greatly
appreciated.

The following log entries are made when attempting to mount the dfs volume:
Jan 17 14:20:28 Debian kernel: [69134.865545] CIFS VFS:
BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\domain.local\dfs
Jan 17 14:20:28 Debian kernel: [69134.884298] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount
failed w/return code = -2

cifs module info:
# modinfo cifs
filename:       /lib/modules/4.9.0-8-amd64/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
softdep:        pre: crypto-arc4 crypto-des crypto-ecb crypto-hmac
crypto-md4 crypto-md5 crypto-aes crypto-cmac crypto-sha256
version:        2.09
Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
license:        GPL
author:         Steve French <sfrench@xxxxxxxxxx>
alias:          fs-cifs
srcversion:     A738E1473F25A5E24B13FB4
depends:        fscache,dns_resolver
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.9.0-8-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including
header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (uint)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4
Range: 1 to 64 (uint)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default:
30 Range: 2 to 256 (uint)
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server.
Default: 32767 Range: 2 to 32767. (uint)
parm:           enable_oplocks:Enable or disable oplocks. Default: y/Y/1 (bool)

# mount.cifs -V
mount.cifs version: 6.7

Thanks in advance,
-H

PS - please don't complain about my generic naming above, all
share/system/domain names and IP addresses were changed for security
purposes.