Re: kernel upcall info for cifs -- how to display data going back and forth?

Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:
1)
to have an entry in file /etc/request-key.conf such as this:
create  cifs.idmap      *       *               /usr/sbin/cifs.idmap %k
---
   Already there.
2) winbind configured and running and added to file /etc/nsswitch.conf like
---
Already have this too except I put "files compat winbind".

3) need a link
sudo mkdir /etc/cifs-utils
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cifs-utils/idmapwb.so
/etc/cifs-utils/idmap-plugin
(dpkg -L cifs-utils | grep so will show you the location in ubuntu e.g)
----
   Already there:
 ll /etc/cifs-utils/idmap-plugin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 32 May 16 09:56 /etc/cifs-utils/idmap-plugin -> /usr/lib64/cifs-utils/idmapwb.so
4) And mount cifs share with option cifsacl...
----
had that too, but gave me no access to everything. so had to switch back to
giving it a uid and gid.

I seem to remember some details about the smb kernel upcall
where it called a program specified in the upcall config and
passed some commands like one taking a UID and wanting a SID
back, or one taking a SID and wanting a UID back (or GID)...etc.
----
   The part I'm missing is where I could, say, insert a script
that would initially echo out the requests so I can verify it's sending the requests I think it should (or that make sense). And 2, query my local
sid<=>uid/gid script to send back the needed information.

   Thanks much for the info -- at least it verifies what I have, but the
script part is the part I'm not finding (besides the config above not working)...sigh.

Linda W.