Unable to mount windows share as administrator

I'm able to mount a share from Windows 10 without problems if my
.smbcredentials file contains a username and password of a regular
user on the Windows system.  However, if I change the credentials to
an administrator on the Windows system, I get:

mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Here's the relevant /etc/fstab entry:
//RONE/Users/fran /rone_users cifs
credentials=/home/jon/.smbcredentials,ro,iocharset=utf8 0 0

4.4.0-71-generic
mount.cifs version: 6.4