Re: SMB2: Enforce sec= mount option

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM, L A Walsh <law@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sachin Prabhu wrote:
>>
>> If the security type specified using a mount option is not supported,
>> the SMB2 session setup code changes the security type to RawNTLMSSP. We
>> should instead fail the mount and return an error.
>>

> ---
> Saw the comment by Steve F, and it got me to thinking.
> Please take this as a suggestion or idea...  I'm not
> heavily committed to a single solution, at this point, as
> haven't really thought through all of the ramifications.
>
> Is it possible to add a 'prefix' or 'suffix', like an
> "=" sign or a '+' -- to mean:
>
> '=' = exactly this 'sec' level
> '+' = this 'sec'-level or greater
> '<' = less than or equal to this sec-level
> ---
> Using the symbols is a similar idea to some fields in
> 'find' where +/- are used to indicate greater or less than
> the stated number.
>
> I'm not sure about the symbols, exactly, but I know in samba I
> ask for smb2 for the protocol and more often than not, only
> get smb1, but I'd rather have it work than fail.
>
> Since I'm on a closed net, I'd have to say the same for
> security options, but I'd like to have a choice to force it
> if I wanted to...
>
> Anyway -- just an idea that might offer more flexibility than just
> 'fail'...

It'd take a tiny bit of messing with the command line parser, but I'd
be for that.  As a gesture of good faith, since I raised the issue,
I'd be willing to submit the patch set for mount.cifs to support this
if everyone is on board.  I'd suggest staying away from '<' and '>' as
they're shell redirects though.  This would be a reasonable shorthand
for a comma separated list (which also might take a bit of messing
with the parser since we split on ',') - it could reasonably loop in
the userland mount helper, mount.cifs, in much the same way Steve
suggested that it should be handled in userland.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.