Re: noserverino option

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM, John Jackson
<john.michael.jackson1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> How does the noserverino operation behave when mounting a CIFS share,
> what does it do?

noserverino mount option is designed to handle cases where the server
can not generate a unique inode number (or equivalent) for each file.
In CIFS and SMB2/SMB3 files are almost always accessed (opened) by
name, and it is not required that a file system be able to preserve a
persistent identifier for each file (other than its name), and some
popular non-Unix/non-Linux file systems, like FAT, don't really have
inode numbers (or other unique numeric identifiers) although most can
generate one.  Some buggy servers also will fill 0 in (incorrectly) as
the inode number making it impossible to distinguish hardlinked files.

In general, for most modern servers they should be able to work fine
with the default (server inode numbers enabled) which allows the
client to detect hardlinks.  The cifs client will turn off using the
server's inode numbers if the server starts returning 0 as inode
number so we can catch most buggy servers early enough.

Since the caching of files is dependent on (oplocks/leases granted
when) opening the file by path name, whether or not you use server
inode numbers should not be a factor.   Running without server inode
numbers can cause problems when hardlinked files are common (since the
client thinks they are different files and they are actually the same
file date).

--
Thanks,

Steve