noserverino option

Hi Everyone,

How does the noserverino operation behave when mounting a CIFS share,
what does it do?

I know the man page says, Client generates inode numbers itself rather
than using the actual ones from the server,  but how does using the
noserverino option affecting caching of a linux client mounting a
share with cifs from a NAS.

I was recently facing a problem where I had a windows7  machine and a
linux(2.6.32) machine concurrently reading/writing files on a synology
nas box, And the files were mismatched by 4k, one linux page size on
the linux machine. I found that upgrading the kernel to 3.10 or 3.18
and using the noserverino option, my problem had gone away. However, I
am worried I may have taken a performance hit. .

Thank You
John Jackson