Re: [RFC v0 1/4] vfs: add copy_range syscall and vfs entry point

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Zach Brown <zab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:50:13PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
>> Doesn't the new syscall have to invalidate the page cache pages that
>> the server is about to overwrite as btrfs does with the following line
>> in fs/btrfs/ioctl.c
>>
>>       truncate_inode_pages_range(&inode->i_data, destoff,
>>                                  PAGE_CACHE_ALIGN(destoff + len) - 1);
>
> The file_operations ->copy_range implementation is responsible for this,
> yeah, similar to ->write being responsible for invalidating around
> O_DIRECT writes.
>
>> (and doesn't truncate_inode_pages_range handle page cache alignment
>> anyway
>
> No, it bugs if given an end offset that isn't page aligned:
>
>         BUG_ON((lend & (PAGE_CACHE_SIZE - 1)) != (PAGE_CACHE_SIZE - 1));
>
> Lukas is working on a patch series to fix this:
>
>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=136854986101843&w=2
>
>> - and also why did btrfs use truncate_inode_pages_range instead
>> of invalidate?)
>
> I'm not sure.  Maybe they can have racing dirty pages and want them
> thrown away rather than having invalidation fail?

Ideally cifs (and presumably) nfs would do a flush of the beginning of
the first page (before source offset) and/or the end of the last page
of the range (after target offset) if dirty (to send it to the server
before the copy) if they are not writing the complete page out, and
then toss the pages (including the first and last partial pages) from
the page cache.  Is there a good fs example for code for this?

--
Thanks,

Steve