Re: many-to-one nested CIFS serving

Jeff Layton wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:45:54 -0600
Steve Finley <Steve.Finley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To Whom:

I am exploiting a feature of the CIFS server that works for the client under
Windows 8 (not sure about others), but does not work for the linux client
under RedHat/CentOS5/6.

I am mounting multiple Thecus NAS devices via CIFS, making
symbolic links to files on those NAS devices, where I reorganize the
directory structure, and then turn around and serve the top level
of that directory via CIFS.

On a Windows machine I only have to mount that top level directory, and
the symbolic links automatically resolve themselves without having to also
mount the NAS device(s).  THIS IS VERY POWERFUL.  On a linux
machine however, the symbolic links can only be resolved if I have the
NAS devices mounted, and the mount points have to be named as shown
in the link.  It seems that the protocol necessary for this to work under
Windows has not been added to the linux version of the client.

When I surf the web for others exploiting this feature, I find nothing.

Thanks

Steve Finley
Research Associate
CIRA - Colorado State University

So you're reexporting a CIFS mount from a linux box with samba? Yuck.

Most likely you're running afoul of the fact that when POSIX extensions
are enabled, that symlinks are passed on as-is to the client. If you
mount from the clients using "nounix" it'll probably do something
closer to what you expect.

In truth though, I think you'd be better served by researching and
configuring a DFS share.

Jeff,

Thanks. The nounix option did what I wanted. Yes a bit "yucky" but this is all read-only, and the "expensive" part of creating links really reorganizes the data in a way that allows the scientists to browse it. I will have a good look at DFS, since we
absolutely have a future need for such a beast.

Steve