Re: many-to-one nested CIFS serving

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:45:54 -0600
Steve Finley <Steve.Finley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To Whom:
>
> I am exploiting a feature of the CIFS server that works for the client under
> Windows 8 (not sure about others), but does not work for the linux client
> under RedHat/CentOS5/6.
>
> I am mounting multiple Thecus NAS devices via CIFS, making
> symbolic links to files on those NAS devices, where I reorganize the
> directory structure, and then turn around and serve the top level
> of that directory via CIFS.
>
> On a Windows machine I only have to mount that top level directory, and
> the symbolic links automatically resolve themselves without having to also
> mount the NAS device(s).  THIS IS VERY POWERFUL.  On a linux
> machine however, the symbolic links can only be resolved if I have the
> NAS devices mounted, and the mount points have to be named as shown
> in the link.  It seems that the protocol necessary for this to work under
> Windows has not been added to the linux version of the client.
>
> When I surf the web for others exploiting this feature, I find nothing.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Finley
> Research Associate
> CIRA - Colorado State University

So you're reexporting a CIFS mount from a linux box with samba? Yuck.

Most likely you're running afoul of the fact that when POSIX extensions
are enabled, that symlinks are passed on as-is to the client. If you
mount from the clients using "nounix" it'll probably do something
closer to what you expect.

In truth though, I think you'd be better served by researching and
configuring a DFS share.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>