Re: file truncation on newer linux-cifs versions

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 03:46:05PM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> Can you experiment a little with setting different wsize values and see
> if the server's bug starts at exactly 64K, or as we saw with another
> server ~100K.
Wouldn't the -ENOSPC not appear at that size?  Anyways I tried
68k, 80k and 100k, the problem of truncation remains.

> There is significant performance benefit in setting the wsize to
> larger than 64K, but if we find a second server that maxes at ~100K we
> may want to set it to that.

> I still would prefer to workaround buggy servers if it were possible
> to recognize them because I hate to punish (with 20%+ or more worse
> write performance) the vast majority of servers (Windows,Samba,
> NetApp) for the bug of a few.
IMHO there are a couple of alternatives, that do not punish other
servers:

educate your users, as

* while elevated logging display a warning when encountering a short
write.  Just that someone without deeper CIFS knowledge gets a hint.

I just didn't follow linux-cifs and haven't been aware of the wsize
option at all, sorry.

or do the workaround

* during negotiation log something like "detected buggy/sub-performant
server, setting wsize to known safe 65536" as at least one NIC driver
did

* go with 64k as default and have a white list of performant servers

Whether you black or white list depends entirely which list is expected
to be more definitive, doesn't it?  As I have no clue how many different
CIFS servers there are, the white list sounds more rational to me.  But
our setup may be a bit special anyways because Blue Arc supports NFS
exports.  IT dept. only objects against shared access.

> I would be curious though if your server gives any indication of write
> error or silently ignores the large write.
Expect an answer during next week.  I myself cannot obtain such
information.

Mirko