Re: cifs: ls of mount point gives input/output error (probably related to CIFS: getdents() broken for large dirs)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Konstantinos Skarlatos
<k.skarlatos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/12/2011 11:46 μμ, Konstantinos Skarlatos wrote:

>>> I did not get a cFYI output from that test, but i redid a
>>> mount-ls-umount and am attaching the tcpdump
>>> Also here http://pastebin.com/J20uC6kU you can find the cifsFYI and
>>> the contents of /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData form the same test

>>> I do not know, and i am a bit afraid to downgrade this machine below
>>> 3.0 due to some changes arch linux has introduced recently. I can
>>> always set up a few virtual machines though, and i can even request
>>> permission from my company to give you shell access if you like. Which
>>> kernel versions would you like me to test?
>>
>> I just tested 3.1.5-1-ARCH on a virtual machine and it works, so it is
>> probably a regression... On the same virtual machine 3.2-rc7 produces
>> input/output error. The virtual machine is a fresh install of arch linux.
>> here is the relevant pastebin http://pastebin.com/BwX2DqJC
>> and attached is the tcpdump
>> As a am a noob to all this, what should I do next in order to help you?
>> maybe compile a 3.1 kernel from official sources to make sure no patches
>> from arch linux interfere?
>>
> After some testing, vanilla 3.1.6 does not have this bug and 3.2.0-rc1 has
> it.

different responses by Windows XP is causing the error.
cifs does not send different requests in 3.16 and 3.2.0 (to receive
different responses from Windows XP).

I have 3.1.0-1-default-1+ and I see this error against a Windows XP share
when number of file system objects are large in the directory.