PCAN and SocketCAN Questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to both SocketCAN and mailing lists so please
let me know if I'm making any faux pas or haven't correctly RTFMed! I
heard this was the correct place to ask questions and I have a few
that I haven't been able to find answers to.

All my testing so far has been done on Ubuntu 20.04 with
5.15.0-43-generic and PCAN-USB( Pro) dongles and PCAN-PCI Express
cards.

Question 1: I've noticed that frames can get silently lost if my
application doesn't read from the socket frequently enough. This also
happens if I'm simultaneously dumping frames with candump (the "lost"
frames do show up in candump's output). Increasing the socket receive
buffer size with SO_RCVBUF allows more frames to be stored before new
ones start getting lost. Is there a recommended way to detect this
happening so that my program can fail noisily?

Question 2: I'd like to be able to send frames without other receivers
on the bus to acknowledge them. The one-shot option seems to allow me
to do this with my USB dongles. What's the difference between the
one-shot and presume-ack options?

Question 3: I'd like to have as little latency as possible and I'm
assuming using PCIe cards would be beneficial over USB. Unfortunately
my PCAN-PCI Express card doesn't seem to support either one-shot or
presume-ack; is that a hardware limitation or a driver limitation? If
it's a hardware limitation, would anyone be able to recommend a
low-latency, full-featured option for CAN on traditional x86/64
desktops?

Thank you in advance!

David

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]