Re: lack of bus-off recovery in slcan driver

On 14.02.2022 17:46:11, Ico Glass wrote:
> One of our customers uses the lawicel CANUSB can interface with the
> slcan driver, and we have noticed that in some tests where we introduce
> electrical errors to the bus the driver becomes unresponse, being no longer
> able to either send or receive any CAN frames. Reattaching the interface
> seems to mitigate the error.
>
> The suspicion is that the interface drops into bus-off mode; the serial
> protocol documentation of the CAN interface talks about an 'F' command
> for querying status bits, but it seems that the slcan driver does not
> implement this and has no knowledge of the interface is in a defunct
> state.
>
> `ip restart` or `ip restart-ms` both seem to be not implemented for this
> driver unfortunately:
>
>    RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
>
> Is there a clean programmatic method for detecting and recovering from
> error states using the slcan driver? Is this CANUSB interface a good
> choice to use in production, or should we consider it "hobby quality"
> only?

See github for the discussion:

https://github.com/linux-can/can-utils/issues/344

regards,
Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                 | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Embedded Linux                   | https://www.pengutronix.de  |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]