Re: Query for status of timestamping for XCAN driver and possible project

On 20.10.2021 13:17:50, Pavel Pisa wrote:
> Hello Oliver and Marc,
>
> our student, Matej Vasilevski, has chosen to continue
> on CAN latency tester which we done for Oliver years
> ago.
>
> We want to continue on the CAN-BENCH project started
> by Martin Jerabek
>
>   https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/canbus/zynq/zynq-can-sja1000-top/-/wikis/home
>
>   https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/canbus/zynq/zynq-can-sja1000-top/-/wikis/uploads/56b4d27d8f81ae390fc98bdce803398f/F3-BP-2016-Jerabek-Martin-Jerabek-thesis-2016.pd
>
> We want to use XCAN on Xilinx Zynq 7010 with timestamping
> in the first iteration, then switch to our CTU CAN FD core
> and add timestamping to its driver.
>
> Is there some more recent attempt to add timestamping
> to XCAN driver than that original work of Martin Jerabek?
>
> Is there some suggestion which driver is the right
> example to implement timestamping now?

I recently added HW timestamp support to the mcp251xfd driver. It makes
use of the timecounter + cyclecounter helpers. These take care of wrap
arounds and conversion of the timer value to nanoseconds.

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.14/source/drivers/net/can/spi/mcp251xfd/mcp251xfd-timestamp.c

A worker is setup to regularly read the free running time stamp register
to deal with the wrap around. You probably don't need this, if you have
a 64 bit timestamp register.

If your hardware directly provides 64 bit timestamp in ns or µs, you
don't even need the timecounter/cyclecounter.

To set the HW timestamp on the skb, it's

| mcp251xfd_skb_set_timestamp()

with timestamp provided by the CAN core that's done on RX and
TX-completion.

> Our intention is to implement feature in state ready
> for mainlining and we hope that with your feedback
> we succeed this time.

regards,
Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                 | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Embedded Linux                   | https://www.pengutronix.de  |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]